National Frozen Custard Day
Five Food Finds about Custard
- Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (crème anglaise), to a thick pastry cream used to fill éclairs.
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
- Sometimes flour, corn starch, or gelatin is added as in pastry cream or creme patissiere.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1899 A.T. Marshall of Brockton, Massachusetts patented the refrigerator.
1927 Alfalfa was born on this day. Actually, it was Carl Switzer who played Alfalfa in the ‘Our Gang’ short film series.
1983 Rolla N. Harger died. A biochemist, he invented the…
View original post 48 more words