National Raspberries and Cream Day
Five Food Finds about Raspberries
- Raspberries, as well as strawberries, belong to the rose family.
- There are over 200 species of raspberries.
- Raspberries can be four different colors, although red and black are the most common. They can also be yellow or purple.
- Raspberries are rich in Vitamin C and produce more fiber per calorie than any common fruit – even prunes.
- Don’t wash the berries until they are ready to be used.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1782 Andreas Sigismund Marggraf died. A German chemist who discovered beet sugar, which led to the development of the modern sugar industry.
1794The Whiskey Rebellion. Protesting the 1791 federal tax on distilled spirits a large gathering of rebels in western Pennsylvania burned the regional tax inspectors home. President Washington ordered 13,000 troops to the area, but opposition disappeared.
1903 Louis Leakey was born…
View original post 69 more words